Contact: John McDougall, CCI South Alberta Board Member
The Canadian Condominium Institute – South Alberta branch (“CCI-SA”) feels that the amendments to the Condominium Property Act (“Act”) proposed in Bill 9 will bring some positive change to condominium living in Alberta. However, the bill is far from complete, and in our opinion several key issues have been overlooked:
- Many of the amendments refer to regulations that have not yet been drafted
- A comprehensive update on insurance issues related to condominiums
- Building envelope issues related to new construction and conversions beyond the “building assessment reviews” required pursuant to the New Home Buyer Protection Act
With five years of consultation that have included key industry stakeholders, including condominium lawyers, developers, insurance brokers, and unit owners – there are some positive changes in Bill 9. These various groups, of which CCI –SA had representation with at all times, were able to address some key items including:
- Consumer protection, which is lacking in the current Act. CCI –SA is pleased that developers will be required to appoint and register a Board of Directors and that developers will be required to pay condominium fees that other owners have to pay.
- Conflict resolution, which is an important component for better condominium living. CCI -SA is also pleased to see a proposed new tribunal that will hear and settle a variety of disputes.
CCI-SA supports these important modifications to the Act, along with the 50 additional amendments. These are changes that have been needed for well over a decade. Ongoing review and further updates to the Act are necessary. Bill 9 does not represent the end of a process, but only a milestone. CCI -SA will continue to advocate on behalf of condominium owners and industry to further enhance and improve the Act, and will continue to push for updates, revisions and changes to the Act as the industry and consumer expectations evolve.
Kindly address your questions, objections and concerns to us so that as the voice for condominium owners in Southern Alberta we will continue to review and advocate on your behalf. For more information please visit our website at www.ccisouthalberta.com or contact John McDougall, CCI South Alberta Board Member at (403)231-8206 or E-Mail: email@example.com.
The Canadian Condominium Institute – South Alberta Chapter
“To educate and advocate for condominium corporations and unit owners.”